internetworkers - the importance of usability with shoe analogy

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: the importance of usability with shoe analogy
  • Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 12:14:17 -0500

<> FROM [InternetDay] 03.07.01 - In The Eye Of The Beholder

"I have to admit; I don't enjoy shopping from Nordstrom's on-line shoe
store as much as I enjoy shopping from the "real" one. In fact, I haven't
bought anything from their website yet despite the site's excellent
reputation in the Web development community for its state-of-the-art
database and the fact that I love shoes. The reason? When I browsed
through the on-line catalog, I had to narrow my search for the perfect
sandals to "dressy," "trendy," or "comfortable." Well, I was looking for
dressy shoes that are trendy and comfortable. The salespeople in the
"real" store would never ask me to choose between dressy, trendy and
comfortable."

"My experience made me examine how important is to know the audience you
are developing a website for. You need to get under their skin and shop
like they would be shopping. Common sense says that different groups have
different tastes and expectations based on their experience. What a
just-out-of-college programmer likes in a particular website is not
necessarily what a nice old lady likes. Is your site catering to
programmers or nice old ladies?"

hahahahaha  had to get a shoe reference in here somehow as it has been awhile Steve Steele! :)

Saundra, shoe lover extraordinaire