internetworkers - Re: Former Employees May Be Untapped Resource (article)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael S Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Former Employees May Be Untapped Resource (article)
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:58:08 -0500

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 21:49, you wrote:
> From Internet World New: Wednesday, March 7, 2001 ยท Vol. 3, Issue 44
>
> Former Employees May Be Untapped Resource
> By Ruhan Memishi

In my opinion there's no such thing as an employee anymore, and the faster
workers wise up to the fact the faster companies will stop pretending there
is such a thing as a permanent job.

In my opinion, if one has a permanent job with a company in a technological
capacity, that means when one project or product is finished, and they no
longer need so many programmers/designers/etc, those people are moved to
another project. In my experience at least, this has never happened. Once a
project is finished, everyone not needed to maintain the project is laid off,
and if a new project is to be started within a few months, the manager of the
new project goes out and hires new people. In some cases the entire
development team is canned, and the maintenance is outsourced.

The excuses for this range from not being able to make payroll, to a new
project having different technological challenges, and thus requiring
different people. This neatly sidesteps the fact that the whole concept of
being an employee is based on having some sort of longjevity with a company
beyond this quarter's bottom line. What companies are actually doing is
hiring people who can be hired, fired, and rehired in a period of months.
Some of those people are called "contractors" and receive extra salary to
compensate for the uncertainty, and others are called "employees", who
believe they are trading a lower salary in return for benefits and job
security.

In my experience what actually happens is companies hire and fire employees
without any regard to any implied job security, making the value of benefits
such as life insurance and retirement nearly zero, and as an added incentive,
get to pay employees less. When the time comes to reduce headcount, do you
really think a manager is going to let a contractor who is critical to a
project go over an employee is perceived as being expendable?

> Many employees understand that today's economic realities are forcing
> executives to lay off workers. Letting them use computers, phones, and
> faxes for their job search also will go a long way in making sure the
> relationship ends on a more positive note.

What I understand is companies will do anything to react to a drop in their
stock price, regardless of the actually long term (say over 2 years) impact
on the bottom line. As the pointy-head boss says in the famous Dilbert
cartoon "Our employees are our greatest asset. Every time we lay them off our
stock price goes up." For people who are laid off, there's not much value in
using the companies computers, phones and faxes, since most employees have
phones, a home computer, and can buy a fax machine or fax modem for under
$100.

In the end, there's only a few companies where its worth joining as an
employee. Unfortunately, the companies that don't lay off 20% of their
workforce at the first sign of trouble are few and far between right now.

--
Michael S Czeiszperger | czei AT webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc. | http://www.webperfcenter.com

  • Re: Former Employees May Be Untapped Resource (article), Michael S Czeiszperger, 03/07/2001