internetworkers - Schools and Profit

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Cory <paulwcory AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Schools and Profit
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 17:01:40 -0500

Thanks for all the feedback. I got some excellent suggestions and good
research links. I will contacting a few folks privately to see if I can
quote them in my report.

If I had to summarize what came out of the discussion, I'd go with the
following:

There are many pitfalls in accepting advertising on the site: advertiser
control, getting too close to publicly unacceptable content, apporpriateness
of ads, 501(c3) questions, time and effort and staff necessary to set such
things up.

Many folks feel that it is simply inappropriate to sell advertising on a
school Website.

Possible solutions:

Use the Website to more efficiently sell goods and services the system
already sells. In particular, the logo merchandise idea has some promise.

Look for sponsorships from businesses seeking to buff their public image to
a high shine.

Simply ask the Website users for the money.

I appreciate the help, folks. :-)

Paul