internetworkers - My new job, and some of kick ass UNC position openings

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: My new job, and some of kick ass UNC position openings
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:16:14 -0500

[This isn't an official announcement, but a few people here might be interested]

I've recently changed jobs within ATN; I've moved from being the "Emergency Geek" to become "Associate Director, Strategic Architecture Command"**.
The task of this new command is to develop and deploy the next generation distributed computing architecture for UNC.

This architecture will include directory services, kerberos and public key security infrastructures, bound together by a reliable and globally scalable distributed object infrastructure. As part of this mission I'm finally getting to implement the MyUNC and IHOP projects I've talked to many of you about, only this time with serious official support. The aim is for everything we develop to be released as Open Source. This is so cool you could stick a strawberry in it and call it a Daiquiri.

As part of all these changes, I've been given two currently unfilled positions whose job descriptions are being completely changed to fit SAC's mission. I'm looking for some a couple of programmers who can work with me to build this new architecture.

Most of the programming will be done in Java or perl. Having played around a bit with python would be plus, and knowing a little about LDAP, distributed objects, kerberos and digital signatures wouldn't hurt.

It would be great if I could get some people who have a lot of experience in all these things, but since a lot of what we'll be doing is brand new, what's really important to me is the ability to learn fast, try new things, and the ability to grasp the vision we have for the future and solve our problems using that vision. If you have the skills, but don't think you have all the necessary technical experience, I'd still like to hear from you; these positions come with plenty of money for training.

There are two of the positions available; they're both equivalent to Systems Programmer II's. Being UNC positions they have some advantages and disadvantages. On the downside, salaries are lower than in the private sector, and the options package is rather disappointing. On the upside, you have to admit that UNC was successful in its latest round of financing last November.

There are loads of other benefits you get from working at UNC. You get to use the latest equipment and do coolest projects. When the weather's warm you can work wireless in the pit. You can bask in the intellectual climate, with it's free tuition, vast libraries, and ever-flowing throngs of smart people. UNC has top notch athletic facilities, which are open to staff for a small fee, and quite frankly, UNC's basketball team leaves Cisco's in the dust. Can John Chambers dunk? I don't think so.

If you're interested in hearing more about what's going on, or might be interested in one of these, email me or talk to me in person.

Simon Spero,
Associate Director, Strategic Architecture Command
** "PC's are our profession" **