internetworkers - [Internetworkers] Re: Florida elections?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: [Internetworkers] Re: Florida elections?
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 17:20:27 -0500

InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> Aren't these people just middlemen/women?

>>argh! no, that wasn't (and still isn't)
>>the purpose of the electoral college.

Let me clarify my point of view. I'm
pro-electoral college! I'm not saying
destroy the electoral college, I'm saying
that it should be made more efficient.

Instead of having the ceremony of electoral
voting, there should be a networked computer
tabulating the votes -- very similar as
to how there are no human traders at the
NASDAQ.

Unfortunately, I think the national debate
is going to center on electoral vs. popular,
rather than focusing on making the overall system
more efficient. (I know that a bill has
already been proposed to defeat the electoral
system.) This means that we are avoiding the
next logical step -- how do we use technology
to do things like Internet referendums?

The technology is available so that the people's
voice can be heard much more often than once a
year. We should take advantage of that. I think
even non-binding referendums could have a huge
impact...

But, to argue against myself, the digital divide
makes this not-so-simple...

  • [Internetworkers] Re: Florida elections?, mdthomas, 11/09/2000