internetworkers - Fun E-mail

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joe Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Fun E-mail
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 16:53:09 -0500

My step-brother-in-law sent me an interesting bit of post-election spam:

"If you are a Bush supporter and protest the
voter recount in Florida then send this message
to as many people as possible to help stop the
fraud in Florida. The Democratic Presidential
hopeful needs to know that the American
people will not stand for cheating."

My response? Well, I couldn't resist:

This is interesting for several reasons - mostly for the abundance of
ignorance contained therein.

To wit;

1.The recount in Florida is Automatic, as mandated by state law, since
the total separating the two major party candidates was less than 2000
votes.

2.How will an E-mail 'help stop the fraud'? The idea that Democrats (or any
other group) will only continue fraudulent activity until people start
sending e-mail about it is odd, to be charitable.

3.What *evidence* (not hearsay) is there of fraud? Bush won the initial
count, and to date is winning the state on all recounts, albeit by smaller
margins - if there *was* fraud, closer review will reveal it, not add to it.

4.You should always use caution when sending unsolicited e-mail, but
particularly when sending it to those whose political affiliations you are
unsure of - if there *was* a conspiracy afoot, you can be sure it would
reach the conspirators faster than the proper authorities.

  • Fun E-mail, Joe Komenda, 11/09/2000