internetworkers - Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 14:03:59 -0400

At 01:47 PM 9/19/00 -0400, ncgov2000.org wrote:
>>Let's take the money now given to the individual political candidates and
>>to political parties and use it to make sure every home has Internet access
>Linda: was this sendup or serious?
>It sounds pretty good to me. ...seems like a better way to spend that money.

I think one problem with Linda's idea is that we take for granted
the notion that everyone can use these things. It's not true. I've
got perfectly bright, capable friends and family members who are
reduced to helplessness in the face of the most minor computer
error. One "this program has performed an illegal operation and
will be shut down" and these folks back carefully away from the
computer and go read or watch television until they can contact
someone who can tell them whether the thing is going to delete
its own hard drive. Or that's what they want to know, even if
they don't know it's called a hard drive. I suspect similar
things would happen even if all they were using was an internet
appliance with a web browser and email.

Does no good to give people things they don't know how to use.

[snip]
> the remarkable amount of political
>information already on line.

Vote Smart ( www.vote-smart.org ) is a good non-partisan resource.

Cheers!
-Rachel

Rachel Cox | Web Developer | 919.834.2552 x16 | hesketh.com/inc
512 Brickhaven Drive, Suite 260 | Raleigh, NC 27606
hesketh.com is hiring: http://hesketh.com/careers/