internetworkers - Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda.watson AT Egarden.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Commercials to Net Appliances -- a Political
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:14:47 -0400

At 01:47 PM 9/19/00 -0400, you wrote:

Let's take the money now given to the individual political candidates and to political parties and use it to make sure every home has Internet access

Ed Wesolowski (edwes AT ncgov2000.org) asked:

Linda: was this sendup or serious?

I'm serious.

Rachel had a good point about being able to use them. On the other hand, people all know how to use technology that seems valuable to them: VCRs (on some level), ATMs, cars, CD players. I'm not asking them to learn Perl, just to learn how to browse the web.

How about classes in the schools, in the malls, in community centers, and especially on TV to teach people the basics? I'd say that being able to use the web is a core aspect of literacy -- if not today, then within 5 years.

Parisians have made web browsers part of their standard telephones. C'est belle! (or is it C'est beaux-beaux?)

... Linda

---*--- <http://www.egarden.com>
the lawn & garden industry's online marketplace

Linda Watson -- President, Egarden.com
linda.watson AT egarden.com
919-325-0175
 or toll-free support hotline: