internetworkers - Re: BBQ War?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jeri C. Gloege" <gloege AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BBQ War?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:29:53 -0400 (EDT)

Okay I think we need to define true bbq.

Out west, true bbq comes from a cow... you do not eat pig. You certainly
do not eat pig with vingar. And then there is brisket, a cousin of bbq
but never to be confused with bbq. And true texas bbq is smoked and not
smothered in tomato sauce which makes me wonder what you yankees eat...

And in the south, there is pork bbq which naturally comes from a pig. I
think this comes from the southern adage that if it comes from a cow, you
grill it.

Having sampled enough of both "true" bbqs I have to admit I like them
both... it was the only way to get along with ALL my relatives... sort of
like how Jason and I root for both UNC and Duke so we don't kill each
other except three times a year... Football does not count... Why??? Duke
sucks in football and we are too busy eating our bbq (North
Carolina and Texas style)... :)

Jeri *a true southerner who tries not to act like a Texan*