internetworkers - Stormstudy.com truck?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Demers <ddemers1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Stormstudy.com truck?
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:08:32 -0400

for hi frequency, the idea was to give the Independent Music Network
instant credibility as a fledgling music broadcast network by sending
pseudo news teams across the country posing as IMN news crews, interviewing
random people, and generally causing a commotion. from an advertising and
marketing point of view, i'm sure such guerrilla tactics will continue to
gain in popularity. for instance, as part of a potential marketing campaign
for the video game Hardcore Revolution, the baby of acclaim entertainment
and the professional wrestling organization ECW, we considered sending
ski-mask-wearing reps to WWF events holding ECW banners (not the safest
prospect) and rolling a huge ECW banner off a building facing time square
last new year's eve.

the concept of paid advertising on cars seems to stem from a different
phenomenon. while the storm study project is concerned with making people
aware of dangerous impending weather conditions, people getting paid to
advertise on their cars just shows that many will do anything for a buck
and that advertising is pervading more and more aspects of our lives. it
reminds me of those billboard trucks that advertise various products,
except that now individuals are getting paid to do it. as far as
advertisers are concerned, visual impressions are the primary concern, so
it makes sense that such a new medium would be exploited. i'm sure our
homes would be next were it not for some land use control laws.

i think i remember hearing a while back that some company paid pedestrians
to wear a t-shirt branded with their logo to walk the streets of new york.
ecko clothing line has a deal with porn producing company vivid for their
porn stars to wear ecko gear before they get busy. the point is that more
and more, very little will remain off-limits to advertisers. personally, i
think we often time prostitute ourselves to corporate culture at the
expense of our own individuality, giving up power over our own destinies to
those who use money to monitor and control our habits.

> Actually, I wonder if Dave Demers can speak to this trend from a
> little
>more personal level? :-)
>
>TaB
>
>"Thomas A. Beckett" wrote:
>>
>> I haven't seen the truck, but I have seen a number of gaudy vehicles
>> roaming around promoting some dotcom or another. It seems to be the
>> promotional gimmick of the moment for e-biz. Viz:
>> http://www.news-observer.com/daily/2000/04/20/biz00.html
>>
>> TaB
>>
>> Michael Thomas wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > has anyone else seen the Stormstudy.com truck driving around North
>> > Raleigh? It has an electronic sign that displays a weather forcast
>> > (which is somewhat hard to read at 70 mph) and points people to
>> > www.stormstudy.com. What's the deal?
>> >
>> > Anyway, I was reminded of the stormstudy truck when I saw this article:
>> >
>> > "Our Ad on Your Car: $400 a Month"
>> >
>> > http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,35809,00.html
>> >
>> > ---
>> > You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: thomas AT tbeckett.com
>>$subst('Email.Unsub')
>>
>> ---
>> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: thomas AT tbeckett.com
>>$subst('Email.Unsub')
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: ddemers1 AT bellsouth.net
>$subst('Email.Unsub')

;)
david demers