internetworkers - Re: Stormstudy.com truck?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Demers <ddemers1 AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Stormstudy.com truck?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:03:36 -0400

rachel cox wrote:

>Well, that's pretty standard unless I'm missing something. Often
>when you see a recognizable brand in the media, whether it's on
>a porn flick or a soap opera or Buffy The Vampire Slayer, isn't it
>due to a deal between the producer of the media and the producer of
>the item?

i'll admit my thinking got a little hazy here. with the pedestrian and
vivid references, i was trying to point out that even people are used as
human billboards. granted, the film reference is a common occurrence; it
was just the most recent specific example i remember reading. or maybe i
just had porn on the mind....

> Of course we do. That's what the ad agencies and marketing firms get
paid
> the big bucks for.

is this a criticism of my having pointed out something so painfully obvious?

>But once we've noticed the ludicrousness of an individuality
>predicated on being just like everybody else, we can decide
>which pieces of consumer culture we want to buy into or have
>fun with, and which pieces we want to try to armor ourselves
>against or change.

this is a great point to raise and touches on what i failed to consider
after my bitch session yesterday, and that is some kind of remedy to the
situation. i totally agree that individual awareness and responsibility
will be the building blocks for change.

regarding capitalism, art, and what thomas beckett wrote:

>It used to be there was art and commerce -- God and Mammon -- which
>stood more or less distinctly. Now the two are more or less
>indistinguishable. The best artists work for the Web development shops
>and the ad agencies.

isn't the fact that many artists earn a living selling their work a good
thing, even if what they are producing is not art in its purest form, or
art for the sake of art? what about the fact that many non-artists earn a
living working with an art form which they love, such as a marketing
director at a record label? as such, various art forms are most definitely
commodities and, in turn, the backbone of whole industries whose
infrastructures provide jobs for thousands of people.

;)
david demers