internetworkers - [Fwd: [sungroup] NC*SA meeting, Monday, April 10, 2000, 6pm - Network and Systems Management by OpenNMS, Open Source Revolutionaries]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Thomas <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: [Fwd: [sungroup] NC*SA meeting, Monday, April 10, 2000, 6pm - Network and Systems Management by OpenNMS, Open Source Revolutionaries]
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 12:28:27 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [sungroup] NC*SA meeting, Monday, April 10, 2000, 6pm - Network
and Systems Management by OpenNMS, Open Source Revolutionaries
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:35:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
To: "Metalab Ratz" <sungroup AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>

Subject: NC*SA meeting, Monday, April 10, 2000, 6pm - Network and
Systems Management by OpenNMS, Open Source Revolutionaries
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 10:34:04 -0400
From: stan briggs <stan AT networks.com>
To: ncsa-announce AT ncsysadmin.org

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators
organization (NC*SA) is upcoming. Details about the meeting
and directions are provided in this note. We hope to see
you there!

NC*SA General Meeting
6:00 p.m., Monday, April 10, 2000
Dreyfus Laboratory
Research Triangle Institute
Research Triangle Park, NC
(directions below)

Topic: Network and Systems Management;
An Open Source Revolution in Enterprise Management

Speaker: Steve Giles; OpenNMS

--------------------------------------

Abstract:

Steve will discuss the effect of the open source revolution on
network/systems management and compare technology in commercial
platforms to open source alternatives. Emphasis is on the four value
cornerstones of open source network management; speed, price,
customizability and technology. A demonstration of OpenNMS.org software
will be included, time and materials allowing.

About the speaker:

Steve speaks regularly on network management and business
topics at international user groups and industry events. Steve's
recent focus is on Open Source network management at OpenNMS.org.
Received a B.S. degree in Computer Science from Vanderbilt University
in 1980. Joined Hewlett-Packard in 1982. Steve resigned his post at
HP in 1992 to pursue independent consulting and co-formed Onion Peel
Software in 1994. Formed N*MANAGE is 1999 and launched OpenNMS.org in
late 1999. Steve is a certified OpenView and IT/O consultant and has
taught
OpenView Basics and Advanced OpenView to over 2000 students.

==============================

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening. We will be providing food and drink for the evening.
If you have any questions please contact:

Stan Briggs
Network Computing Solutions, Inc.
(919) 510-6970
stan AT networks.com

been created to facilitate discussions of interest to system
administrators from the state of North Carolina.

Simply send email to "majordomo AT ncsysadmin.org":

mail majordomo AT ncsysadmin.org

subscribe ncsa-discussion

After subscribing, Majordomo will send you the help file and info file
for our mailing list. These files contain instructions for retrieving
other files available to the NCSA organization (e.g. the presentation
material from past technical programs are available for retrieval via
Majordomo!!)

To unsubscribe from this meeting announcement list, send a message to
the
same address, with the following line in the body:

unsubscribe ncsa-announce

(Please note, if you are a member of sage-members AT usenix.org, you will
also
get a copy of these announcements. I cannot unsubscribe you from that
list.)

==============================

Directions to Research Triangle Institute
(see also: http://www.rti.org/images/campus.gif)

From I-40 west of RTP (e.g. Chapel Hill):

Get onto I-40 heading east. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham
Freeway - North (towards Durham). Stay in right lane. Shift right as

soon as possible after merging with traffic coming off I-40 westbound.

Exit to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top of exit,

turn to the left. (If you turn right and cross over the bridge, you
are going the wrong direction.) After turning left onto Cornwallis,
shift immediately to the right lane. Take the second right onto East
Institute Drive. Take the second right off of East Institute Drive.

Dreyfus Laboratory will be the first building on your right. Use the
parking lot in front of the Lab and enter at the main entrance.

From I-40 east of RTP (e.g. Raleigh):

Get onto I-40 heading west. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham
Freeway - North (towards Durham). Shift to rightmost lane as soon as
possible Exit to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top

of exit, turn to the left. (If you turn right and cross over the
bridge, you are going the wrong direction.) After turning left onto
Cornwallis, shift immediately to the right lane. Take the second
right onto East Institute Drive. Take the second right off of East
Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be the first building on
your right. Use the parking lot in front of the Lab and enter at the
main entrance.

From north of RTP (e.g. Durham):

Get onto NC-147 - Durham Freeway - south. Exit at the Cornwallis Road

exit. At the top of the exit, turn left to cross over the bridge.
After turning left onto Cornwallis, shift immediately to the right
lane. Take the second right onto East Institute Drive. Take the
second right off of East Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be
the first building on your right. Use the parking lot in front of the

Lab and enter at the main entrance.

---
You are currently subscribed to ctc as: pjones AT metalab.unc.edu

You are currently subscribed to sungroup as: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
leave-sungroup-71100H AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

  • [Fwd: [sungroup] NC*SA meeting, Monday, April 10, 2000, 6pm - Network and Systems Management by OpenNMS, Open Source Revolutionaries], Michael Thomas, 04/07/2000