internetworkers - Re: non-profit group hijacked

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: non-profit group hijacked
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:50:23 -0500

Call me cynical, but I always try to look at the motives of those
filing suits. These days, most suits are filed as part of a strategy
(usually to harm a competitor) instead of on principle. Perhaps this is
one of the later but we would need more information. (Usually, the only
people who come out ahead in law suits are the three lawyers involved.)
This type of problem happens when you don't take care of the legalese
within non-profit groups and leave yourself open. Did the non-profit
have a charter or by-laws? Was it incorporated as a non-profit? The
reporter (or editor) left out a lot of important information which would
clarify the white and black hats.
I question whether Baarns could hijack a non-profit to profit making
group without anyone knowing about it. There must have been some
acceptance by the board of directors before all this could happen. There
is more to this story.
Can we play the game of "Who's the real jerk?" in this case? Is there
an element of hyperbole in this report? Is that the point of the
lawsuit? Moral of the story is that you shouldn't believe what you read
between the lines (or sometimes in the lines).
Roger (Cynical, but not paranoid in RTP...Really)