internetworkers - Re: non-profit group hijacked

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: non-profit group hijacked
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 11:21:54 -0500

>> Do we need a membership agreement so that
>> some Johnny-come-lately won't put
>> their selfish needs before the community?

>Should we adopt a GNU-like liscense for our collaborative >"intellectual
>property"? ;->

The only thing that distinguishes a "member" from a "non-member"
is inclusion on one or more of the lists.... So maybe we could
reinforce the non-profit status of the group in the subscription
email?

As for the lists themselves... the email lists are kept private
to keep people from becoming spam victims. The few people
that have admin privs have agreed to not share the content
of any of these lists, though there has been some discussion
about making the names (not the emails) of members
known to the group only. And of course, we live at metalab, not
at a for-profit enterprise that could claim ownership.

I'd like to know more about this case in Southern California...
I think that we have a model that works, but I think we should
explore the details further to make sure that we aren't prone
to the same fate...