internetworkers - Cyber Security Center

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Cyber Security Center
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 23:59:48 -0500

The President wants to form a Cyber Security Center and is asking
Congress for $9M with which to do so. It's supposed to be "private
sector".

"The president is expected to announce the initiative to create a
voluntary, private-sector network to monitor and respond to hacker
attacks after meeting Tuesday at the White House with more than a dozen
computer executives and academics who specialize in computer
technology."

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/14/hacker.security/index.html

Let's lobby to have it located HERE. I'd even write a letter to Jesse
Helms to suggest that. I'll bet if INW made a concentrated effort, we
could at least get our elected representatives to try. Then, once it's
in place somewhere in RTP, we can ... well, I've said too much already.

Tom

P.S. I think the name of the cyber center should be "CONTROL".

P.P.S. The CNN article is chilling, but not so much about the security
center as the part further down about the banks. Someone gave them
advance notice of the DoS attacks. Right down to IP addresses of the
sources of the attacks. They didn't have to tell law enforcement about
it.
http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/14/hacker.security/index.html#1

  • Cyber Security Center, Thomas A. Beckett, 02/16/2000