internetworkers - "Internet around the world" roundtable?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Thomas <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: "Internet around the world" roundtable?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 19:00:37 -0500

Hey,

Many of y'all seem interested in Thomas Beckett's recent trip to Japan
-- Steve Steele even suggested that Thomas should give a presentation
about it. I'm sure that many of us
have had personal experiences with how the different cultures of the
world use the Internet and develop technology in general....

Therefore, I propose that we gather for an "Internet around the world"
roundtable sometime in the next couple of months. The focus on the
gathering will be a discussion
of how the Internet is viewed and used across the globe.

Here's a brainstorm of how an agenda might look:

* Thomas could speak on his Japan trip
* I have an upcoming trip to Helsinki -- arguably one of the most wired
cities on earth -- that might garner some content
* Maybe a technical presentation on the challenges of multi-lingual web
sites
* Anybody have a good viewpoint/eye-witness account of the Internet
pervading a culture?
* How about the Internet and developing nations?
* Maybe some debate on the question: Is the Internet just more American
culture being exported to the world?

Thoughts???