internetworkers - [internetworkers] health insurance for independents?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: jim at ibang.com (Jim Allman)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] health insurance for independents?
  • Date: Tue Feb 25 15:46:08 2003

> In an interesting coincidence, this same topic came up on the
> NoEnd list, a SF-based counterpart to INW. Would you mind if
> I passed on your comments about NASE to that group? Thanks!

Certainly. I don't mean to be inflammatory, because I stopped digging for
information once I got the willies. I'm interested in anyone's first-hand
experience with NASE or other providers, including any gems from the NoEnd
list. (Is it archived on the web?)

That said, there are a couple of Wall Street Journal articles within the
last year (including one very recently, if I recall) that discuss ongoing
state investigations into NASE and its de facto parent company, the insurer
Mega Life and Health (UICI).

http://www.craftsreport.com/july02/health.html
This article outlines the controversial aspects of AHPs (association
health
plans), basically the possible relaxation of state insurance regulations,
leaving wiggle room for rate hikes, fraud, etc.

http://www.legacyalliance.net/Articles/News/UICI.htm
This Wall Street Journal outlines the history and ownership of the
NASE. It
certainly looks like it was designed to sell insurance from a single vendor,
moreso than as a general association for small businesses. Note that the
NASE does put out lots of general information (http://www.nase.org/) though,
so I'm not going to judge..
The article also describes some members' complaints, typically
surprising
rate hikes and problems with coverage.

Please note that you have to search the web pretty hard to find bad opinions
of the NASE--so either many people are happy with them, or their lawyers are
monsters and I'm f*cked :-)

=jimA=