internetworkers - [internetworkers] google buys pyra

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: schampeo at hesketh.com (Steven Champeon)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] google buys pyra
  • Date: Tue Feb 18 10:04:29 2003

on Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 08:51:30PM -0500, Scott Lundgren wrote:

> >Dan Gillmor says Google just bought Pyra Labs.
>
> Mmmm, ponder Blogger + Google's Zeitgeist. With some stories like Lott's
> comment about Thurmond kept alive by blogging and web journalism when
> ignored by corporate owned networks, I wonder if such an acquisition will:
>
> a) accelerate decentralized one person web journalism

Everyone keeps saying this, but as far as I understand it, Blogger isn't
decentralized anything - it's all stored at Pyra, and then you can either
have them host it for you (Blog*spot) or ftp/scp it to your server. It's
all there, though, in one place. What's "decentralized" about that? That's
about as centralized as you can get.

> b) be really cool to literally see an idea propagate across people's
> conscience
> c) make googling about your date/job candidate/sales prospect more
> easy/scary

Why? Google couldn't do this already, just by spidering the existing
sites? I still don't get it.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier