internetworkers - [internetworkers] Software Development Nightmares

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: michael at czeiszperger.org (Michael Winslow Czeiszperger)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Software Development Nightmares
  • Date: Mon Feb 17 23:03:45 2003

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 06:21 PM, Michael D. Thomas wrote:

> In an increasingly competitive employment environment, how do you deal
> with
> difficult people without becoming one of them? How do you maintain your
> integrity without becoming an example of a replaceable part?

At least in my experience the big problems are rarely caused by
co-workers. It is the job of management to facilitate a working
environment where people can get their jobs done, which means clearly
assigning responsibilities, managing project requirements, setting up a
production coding environment, choosing a design methodology, examining
code, setting code quality goals and measurement techniques, etc.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but what I've seen most often as a consultant
is:

1. No formal requirements, just post-it notes on monitors.
2. No assignment of design or architectural responsibilities.
3. No design methodology.
4. No test bed or unit tests at all.

I don't see how any individual programmer's ability to get along with
co-workers is going to help the average software product given the
above. Its the main reason I decided to try striking out on my own-- at
some point if any of this makes a difference its worth the risk to stop
griping and start competing.

F is for Fire that burns down the whole town!
U is for Uranium ... BOMBS!!
N is for No Survivors!!