internetworkers - [internetworkers] Software Development Nightmares

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: s_l at mindspring.com (Scott Lundgren)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Software Development Nightmares
  • Date: Mon Feb 17 22:05:50 2003

Michael,

There's a lot there to address and the changing nature of software
development affects what can be achieved and not.
As an employee, I've actively tried to create informal conversations with
salespeople, partly to find out what features/requests customers were
wanting, but with the more subversive goal to inform them what can and can
not be done.

I'm not sure my own war stories for coping with difficult work environments
and death marches are appropriate because they didn't happen at the same
time. For the former I found more fulfilling side work within the
corporation until I left, for the latter I bought into the hero culture
working weekends and SO's b'day.

For dealing with difficult people, presented in Antipattern style:
Toxic Coworkers: How to Deal with Dysfunctional People on the Job

More troubling is the case I think you're implying where the problem is
foreseen, the problem and it's solution both presented to management in the
time/money cost they understand and yet the hurtling towards the proverbial
cliff continues. Correct?

- SL