homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heifer that doesn't show heat

  • From: Celia Morgan <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heifer that doesn't show heat
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 11:03:53 -0500

So I know nuthin' from nuthin' about cows, but at this time year I wouldn't
expect anything to be going into heat. :-)

Do twins not reproduce normally?

Cheers,

Celia

On Jan 2, 2013, at 7:07 AM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a Guernsey heifer. She was a year old in October, so 14 months
old, now. I bought her from a dealer in calves who swore she was not a
twin.

I'm not sure that she's showing heat. I've seen a couple of times that I
think she might be showing, but nothing for sure. No discharge, no clear
riding ion or by the steers.

Should I be worried? Unfortunately, getting a vet out here is probably not
going to happen.

The cows that I had a couple of years a go, one you could hardly ever tell
when she was in heat and the other would be riding everyone else and then
out on the hill bellowing for a bull.

Rob - Va