homestead - Re: [Homestead] Heifer that doesn't show heat

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Heifer that doesn't show heat
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 17:29:50 -0500

> I wouldn't worry too much. She is a bit young. What does she weigh? I know
> they recommend Angus heifers breed around 800 lbs -almost 2 years old.

I'll try to tape her this weekend. She sure seems small to me, but I was
expecting to see some signs of heat now.

> If she's light in weight and bred that's really not good. I have quite a
> few young Angus heifers and young bulls are always sniffing around,but
> generally(there are exceptions:( seem to breed when they are ready and
> produce healthy calves.

I grew up on a dairy farm, and I sure don't want to be dragging her to the
woods because of a big calf! Been there and done that. I'm thinking to get
her AI-ed to a Guernsey or use a local Angus that throws small calves.

Rob - Va