homestead - Re: [Homestead] Deer fencing

  • From: Sage Austin <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Deer fencing
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:34:16 -0600

Our place fortunately came high fenced (8') and that keeps them out. However some new folks up the road became our friends and put in a huge garden with only a 4' chain link fence. We thought the writing was on the wall! However the deer don't jump the fence. He claims it's because it is BLACK. Another friend, upon hearing this, painted just the top rail of his short garden fence black and they've stayed away! So I'm thinking there may be something to this, as our area is overrun with native and exotic deer.