homestead - Re: [Homestead] Deer fencing

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Deer fencing
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 07:30:29 -0800 (PST)

Don,
Two or three years ago, someone on the homestead list posted a description of
a two fence system that he claimed worked.
His reasoning was that the deer would not jump the first fence if they
couldn't see what was beyond the second. I think it was 2 six foot fences
6-10 feet apart, maybe opaque. I'm afraid I don't remember any specifics but
what he said sounded reasonable enough that I will try to work it out if I
ever get moved.
Van Dell

P.S. Missouri Village 1855, in Jackson Co. didn't have a farm exhibit
because the deer destroyed all crops despite the 9' fences they built.
I don't know if they found a solution since I was last there.