homestead - [Homestead] Thanksgiving smoked turkey in a Weber directions

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Thanksgiving smoked turkey in a Weber directions
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 14:20:11 -0800

I did this a few years back and wrote down what I did, every year I look at this again.
I brined the turkey for 12 hrs before cooking and use a brand name charcoal briquette, the briquettes are started in a chimney.

An 11# turkey on my Weber 22.5" kettle.

I put it on a rack, set it in the 13x9 alum drip pan, put 2 cups of broth in the pan and set that in the Weber.

I used hickory chips and put about 25 coals per side for indirect cooking.

Closed it up and put the thermometer in one of the vent holes.

The directions said 350º but I never got it much above 300º.

After an hour I covered the breast with foil, added some fresh coals (unlit) and some more chips.

It took 2 1/2 hrs for my instant read thermometer to read done.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net

  • [Homestead] Thanksgiving smoked turkey in a Weber directions, Rob, 11/25/2010