homestead - Re: [Homestead] My New Place

  • From: Sage Austin <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My New Place
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 19:07:31 -0500

Congrats on your new place Rob!
--Sage

On 10/18/2010 6:59 PM, Robert Walton wrote:
Before we get to that, old place for sale, 35 acres, 12 open in south
central Virginia. Double wide with nice addition, 1500 sq. ft :>)

New place is near Farmville, Virginia. Central Virginia, just about 45
miles NE of the old place. 25 acres, 10 or 12 open. Some smaller woods
and some in big old oaks. I've got hogs under an acre or so of oaks,
eating acorns right now. The open land is hay field, I've fenced
enough and have my two cows on that with a few milk goats. Fenced in
an acre or so of smaller woods that I'd like to clear off, goats and
cows can help in that.

I've over seeded some orchard grass and clover into the mixed grass
pasture. Limed the pastures, also. There's a couple of places I might
be able to develop a spring, dry weather springs on the neighbor's
place. That's the one thing I didn't get in this place, and an
important one. There is an old well that was working when I bought the
place, that I hope to get a hand pump on for emergencies.

There is a farmhouse in good shape built in 1940, so not that old
either and a few outbuildings. Got some work to do on heating the
house with wood, but has one wood stove set up. I've got some small
outbuildings here, but will need to add a small barn.

All in all, it's a great place, I like it a lot and it's in a location
that works better for me than the old place.

Rob - Va