homestead - [Homestead] stinging caterpillars and itching

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] stinging caterpillars and itching
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:58:49 -0400

Saturday, I was out cutting sorghum for the chickens and I suddenly felt a sting on my forearm. I almost panicked because I am so allergic to bees, but I did not see a bee. By the time I got in the house, I could see 4 welts, roughly the corners of a inch long rectangle....then I knew...Saddleback caterpillar.
Yowza, it's been a while since I got stung by one and you forget how it burns! (It is like an acid or something!) Half of my forearm and ring and pinky fingers went numb! Some duct tape and a couple of benedryls and some lidocaine later, I could barely see the welts. Yesterday, it started itching, so I put hydrocortisone cream on it and later crushed some plantain leaves and jewelweed. I took another benedryl before going to bed. This morning, the welts are larger than they were the first day and they itch like the worst mosquito bite you ever had! Any other home remedies for the itch? I've blanked out...

Bev

--
EarthNSky Farm 34.498N 85.076W
SISU! (Finnish--There is no single word in English that encompasses