homestead - Re: [Homestead] summer squash

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] summer squash
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 17:41:23 -0700

NO! NO! NO! Summer squash is low-acid and has to be pressure canned. Unless you want squash mush, don't think about canning. Go with the dehydrating.

Now, you can make zucchini pickles and they are good IF 1) you can find some Pickle Crisp, and 2) you pasteurize them, not BWB. If you can't find the Pickle Crisp OR if you are totally into organic, use grape leaves. I generally use one grape leaf to a jar for cucumber pickles and have decided that I really need 2 grape leaves for zucchini pickles.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

Around here there is so much summer squash this year nobody can even give it
away. I'm picking a crate every 2-3 days.... zucchini, yellow, and white &
yellow patty pans.

My freezer is full and everything else I read says canning summer squash doesn't
result in a good product. Has anyone here canned summer squash?

Do patty pans can well?