homestead - Re: [Homestead] varieties of this and that

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] varieties of this and that
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:24:57 -0700 (PDT)

Potatoes - RONNIGERS  on line order - (I had no trouble with my order.  They
even called right before my requested ship date, since it was still too cold
in
their location, and suggested I delay, I agreed, and picked another week -
and
they arrived right on time).  They have A LOT of varieties.  Everything
received
was really good quality.

Bees - the hardest thing for me to get used to is all kinds of bees buzzing
right around me - the pretty much ignore me, and the big black ones will fly
right up to me and then lower themselves into a flower right next to my
hand...

Corn - I'm in a windy area also - but last year was windier than this year
and I
had a much better crop.  Both times 4 rows, same E-W row direction.  One of
my
friends that grows corn suggested I plant mine 9" apart (further than
recommended) - he states he gets much bigger ears this way.

Onions - I wish I knew what I planted this year - I cheated and used sets -
sweet, red & yellow.  Sweet and Red pretty much completely done now.  3-4"
across the globes.  Planted in March 25th, harvested July 25th (just a few
left
of the sweet & red).  Yellows are still growing.  I also started yellow from
seed, and just transplanted it into the garden about 2 weeks ago.  Those will
be
ready before fall also, if anything like last year.  They did better/bigger
with
more water compared to last year, and both times just manure for fertilizer.

Sweet Potatoes - hmmmmmmmmmmm. maybe mine are hiding..... :-)  I've only
poked
my figner thru finger depth though.  I feel the tap root, but nothing
swollen......

Beans -
Red Mexican - Vermont Bean Co (online)

Black - oops not Coco, Turtle.  I got the turtles from RH Shumway in late
2008,
planted them last year, and this year I planted from seeds saved from those.
But I did order Black

Coco's from Vermon Bean .... but that isn't what I planted this year.

I didn't like the Low's Red Champs b-t-w - they look "ill", both the plant
and
most of the beans.
Other beans from Vermont planted this year Peregion (fine) Ying-Yang (fine)
Asparagus (some are fine, but some of the beans are kind of curly looking
instead of smooth, but first year I'm not sure what would be normal - I might
not be picking them soon enough).

Actually I'm pretty sure that all of the seed I have order from Shumway has
been
good seed, healthy plants, good sprouting rates, btw.  They just don't have
all
the different heirlooms.

Tomatoes- last year I had for a short period of time that blossom end
thing........ but that went away rather quickly.  It was only on the end of
the
Romas.  I think I have actually seen a few tomatoes with the black on the
inside, but nothing on the outside.... back in FL, which would have been a
plant bought at the store - so who knows what it was.

Thanks for the garden info..
Comments interspersed..

Leslie wrote:

>    This year, I planted 12 diffferent potato varieties.

Where did you get your potatoes?

> WINTER SQUASH  Last year the spaghetti squash was planted 150 feet away
> from
>the zucchini and blue hubbard in the other garden.  I have very happy very
>busy
>bees.)
>
>    I planted some varieties I've never heard of, in addition to acorn,
>butternut, blue and warted hubbard.  I planted Georgia Candy Roaster, and
>Pink
>Banana - these squash are huge ! and prolific.  They have grown right over
>and
>thru the garden fence and are still putting out new "babies" (I just
>discovered
>the vines can have a diameter of 80 feet, so that explains why I couldn't
>contain them in the garden).  Last count there were 14 large ones (about 3'
>in
>diameter, but shaped like a torpedo).

WOW!
It is good to have busy bees.  Since my neighbor got bees, I can see a
difference in pollination here, in a lot of crops..

> CORN
>    99%  failure this year.  Apparently I am still not getting corn enough
>fertilizer; the stalks are short, the ears are down by the ground, and
>didn't
>get pollinated correctly.  Found a local who grows corn and he's going to
>help
>next year.

I am also failing at getting a lot of corn.  Lodging is my problem-or maybe
it
is a symptom...windy location?  not enough sun to make thick stalks? I dunno.

> ONIONS
>    Grow great here, just toss the seed in the ground (3 seeds per inch) in
>November according to the professional onion grower down the road from me.
>My
>sweet onions are nearly all harvested now.  I remembered the professional
>farmer
>lost a lot of onions to too much rain a couple years ago (flooding), and
>since
>we're under a flash flood watch, I pulled up all the onions that have broken
>over - time to pull anyway, and I'm hoping the onion patch doesn't get too
>much
>more rain as the soil here holds water fairly well 4" below the surface.

I can't seem to grow big onions...timing just isn't right...

> SWEET POTATOES
>    I'm at about day 90 for a 110 day variety........ I've wiggled a finger
>into
>the soil here and there but I don't really feel any sweet pototoes.  How
>deep
>are they?

right at the surface.  Mine grow literally at the base of the plant, and
often
you can see the orange poking out of the hill, especially if a good rain has
eroded some soil off the hill.

>    Red Mexicans....... wow!  very prolific and nice dried beans.    Can't
>wait
>to cook some up.
>
>    Black Coco are also very prolific for dried beans.

Where did you get the seed?  I'd like to try these.

> TOMATOES
>    Lost the entire crop this year to that virus that many had last year.
I'm getting lots of tomatoes this year, but I'm seeing a virus in my Roma X
Amish paste that I have never seen before.  The  plant and fruit looks
perfect,
but inside, there is a black, hard, atrophied area at the seed core where
there
are underdeveloped seeds.  I've been slicing the tomatoes lengthwise and
scooping out the dime sized bad area, but I would like to know what caused
it.
I've been saving these tomato seeds for a few years now.  They are good paste
tomatoes, mostly a cross between Roma and Amish paste-pear shaped and larger
than the average Roma, but I haven't seen this problem before.  Is it a bug,
climate-related disease, or a virus?  I haven't seen this occur in any of the
other varieties.

Bev

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/cayadopi%40yahoo.com
View the archives at: