homestead - [Homestead] varieties of this and that

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] varieties of this and that
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:19:36 -0700 (PDT)

I'm growing in hot desert conditions, but use underground drip irrigation.

Irrigation time ranges from 1 gallon to 2 gallons a day, depending if temps
climbing over 100 degrees and wind conditions (more water needed for both).

POTATOES

    Since I see "heat wave" conditions across much of the country, it might
be
helpful for others to know about potatoes in the desert - since I'm having
success this year.

    Last year, I had about 8-12 medium & small potatoes from Kennebec; 1-2
large
from Purple Viking per plant, and 12-20 small from Red Pontiacs.  I planted
them
in rows 3' apart and 18" apart in each row.

    This year, I planted 12 diffferent potato varieties.  They were planted
12"
apart in each row, and rows are 2' apart, and only old cow manure for
fertilzer
(soil is sandy).  This resulted in the plants providing near total shade of
the
soil, and helped cool the soil --- last year only the deepest pototes
attained
medium size (so I was thinking cooler soil down there).  Oh,
hilling............
I started with a trench about 8-12" deep, and hilled until I hilled up about
6"
higher, but even though I wanted to hill more, I noticed potato roots between
the narrow growing space (not much more than the width of my foot is all I
was
using to hill up), and not wanting to break the roots, stopped hilling, so
hills
are not all that high.

    So far, the earlier potatoes that I've discovered are really big....Red
Losada (dark red skin, white inside) and Colorado Rose (light red to pink
skin,
white inside).  Even the first few Kennebecs I've found are big.  A few
plants
here and there have died mysteriously.  Maybe a grub? I don't really see any
other pests, and the leaves look very healthy - except during a few weeks of
108-110 degree temps plus wind, which heat stressed them (had to add more
water
at night to help them a few times).

    Sangre potatoes were slow starters.  The plants didn't pop up out of the
soil until nearly 3 weeks after the others were already up - and all planted
at
the same time.

    Butterballs, so far are small, but I've only found a few so far.

    Purple Vikings, found a few and they are big this year.  I don't know yet
if
there are more than 1-2 per plant, as I haven't dug down very deep, I hope
so,
because they are nice potatoes.

    `Can't wait to discover a few more of the other varieties and see how
they
are fairing.

    Some of my leftover potatoes from last year that started to sprout, I
just
thru the whole spud in the ground - those plants developed much faster than
the
ones started from cut pieces, and the plants are huge.... (I ran out of
garden
space to keep cutting the spuds into pieces....)

WINTER SQUASH

    I planted all kinds of varieties to see which ones I like the best (not
saving seed this year - all will cross....)

(I had some cross polination last year, so my spaghetti squash plant this
year
is growing spaghetti squash, orangetti squash, one zucchini,,,, and an I
don't
know what but it is the size of a large watermelon and is dark green like a
zucchini.  On another one, the spaghetti squash seems to be growing something
similar to a blue hubbard, and some very odd shaped things all different
colors,
but no orangetti or spaghetti squash).  Last year the spaghetti squash was
planted 150 feet away from the zucchini and blue hubbard in the other garden.
have very happy very busy bees.)

    I planted some varieties I've never heard of, in addition to acorn,
butternut, blue and warted hubbard.  I planted Georgia Candy Roaster, and
Pink
Banana - these squash are huge ! and prolific.  They have grown right over
and
thru the garden fence and are still putting out new "babies" (I just
discovered
the vines can have a diameter of 80 feet, so that explains why I couldn't
contain them in the garden).  Last count there were 14 large ones (about 3'
in
diameter, but shaped like a torpedo).

MELON
    The Amish ones are fantastic.
    I planted several different varieties, and they've all tangled together -
if
I have the melon identified right this a/m, a Salmon Cantetloup/Muskmelon is
also very good, a bit smaller than the Amish.
    The tigger melons, one should be ready pretty soon as it is turning from
green to brownish.
    This year the Sugar Baby watermelons are not very sweet.  I also planted
Moon & Stars, they're not ready yet.
    The melon patch this year is so thick with leaves.  It is about 20' wide
and
45' long and two rows merged into one so it is hard to walk.  Yesterday I
could
smell a ripe melon, but it took me 20 minutes to find it.  It was crazy !!
But
fun too.

The squash, melons, and potatoes are getting overhead irrigation this year,
as I
opened up a new garden...... All of these are actually doing much better this
year with overhead irrigation, that the drip irrigatiion.  One of the locals
that farms here told me he discovered the same thing, that many things do
better
with overhead --- as long as it is at night or the early a/m (because the sun
is
so hot, the water bubbles boils and burns the leaves).

CORN
    99%  failure this year.  Apparently I am still not getting corn enough
fertilizer; the stalks are short, the ears are down by the ground, and didn't
get pollinated correctly.  Found a local who grows corn and he's going to
help
next year.

ONIONS
    Grow great here, just toss the seed in the ground (3 seeds per inch) in
November according to the professional onion grower down the road from me.
My
sweet onions are nearly all harvested now.  I remembered the professional
farmer
lost a lot of onions to too much rain a couple years ago (flooding), and
since
we're under a flash flood watch, I pulled up all the onions that have broken
over - time to pull anyway, and I'm hoping the onion patch doesn't get too
much
more rain as the soil here holds water fairly well 4" below the surface.

SWEET POTATOES
    I'm at about day 90 for a 110 day variety........ I've wiggled a finger
into
the soil here and there but I don't really feel any sweet pototoes.  How deep
are they?

BEANS
    Yard longs, (red & green) eh, ok,,,,,, prolific yes.  But I really like
the
Rattlesnake pole beans this year, better.

    Anasazi, taste great.  But they are slow maturing, and the plants spread
out
sideways.  Same with Peregion.

    Red Mexicans....... wow!  very prolific and nice dried beans.    Can't
wait
to cook some up.

    Black Coco are also very prolific for dried beans.

TOMATOES
    Lost the entire crop this year to that virus that many had last year.  So
have most others here. Read on the internet that the years it is wet in the
desert over the winter (we had a lot of snow this winter), followed by
mustard
plant and russian thistle - that there will be a lot of the bugs that spread
the
virus from mustard and thistle.....  I'm thinking hmmmmmmmm, maybe I should
build a screened in room for tomatoes.................  A new homesteader
type
(first year) about 30 miles north of me only lost one plant of about 25, so
maybe she'll trade some for a 50# squash.......... :-)

Hope everyone is having success this year.

>From cayadopi AT yahoo.com Mon Jul 26 11:31:04 2010
t80158262; bh~2KrO1f82MKG38rz8Bj97Yzquk/xEUYqUu8efPSa3w=;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=WO34m4JffG6A2eFKwtG492aY3N7W6DRApuU2RI3Uulq5Q+m5w3HnLxncbCZCwh89K5qo0ovEV/hpCxItXJXmv5b7Qe68dgTUrh+QfI3nf8iUU4ha72EXXm7ZExyVPaYvt3r/1QwF+WdAr7dlON3jzalY69o0gkwJF+3v8Tz2CJgDomainKey-Signature:
a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;

h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type;

b=dlfpLyjuSjmPavQX0txIQsDYa14l+lGvNIyh5SR58+forytRhzkXaebABCRvZZ9AFDHeeMGmxa0SBtobyKYmMqnwQ/vGzJKqZIMd48KgtaNNdxHSN6Ql3n5r81mYlH/bdABfwcjxBAVQIjehnuK/WCZt+cms9zAt3ubSbBhljB0=;