homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning advice

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning advice
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:20:02 -0700 (PDT)

I've noticed in the desert here that even the new gasket dries out a tad even
after a month or two of not using the canner.  I used a little bit of
petroleum jelly, but that didn't help it make the seal on my first load this
season.  Last year I had to heat it up in hot water for a while first before
it would be supple enough to seal (and that was a new one,,,, but in 24%
humidity......)

The thing is that if it doesn't seal the pressure doesn't come up.  That is
noticeable fairly quickly as steam escapes around the seal.  Once I see
leaking steam I give it a few minutes to see if it will stop, but if not, I
turn the heat off, let it cool and then soak the gasket in hot water for a
while then start over.