homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning advice

  • From: <sgian AT netscape.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning advice
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:41:13 -0700

>>Yeah, it does make me wonder how long one of these gaskets sits on a
shelf these days with fewer and fewer people canning....

Shouldn't make a lot of difference, I'd think, so long as the gasket remains
sealed up in its package and isn't exposed to light or temp extremes.

One of our pressure canners is a very old one that belonged to my
grandmother. It has eight big threaded knobs that tighten down the
gasketless lid. Still works fine. The others use gaskets. Maybe my
imagination but the gaskets available now of days don't seem to be nearly as
good as the ones I remember from past years. They don't last as long and
more than once a new gasket has failed to seal and needed replaced before it
was ever used.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.