homestead - [Homestead] Just checking in

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Just checking in
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:23:00 -0500

Although I'm way behind on reading, I've been able to read more than comment. I do hope you sell your place Rob and that the new places work out for both you and for Don. I'm glad Lynda is settled in to hers. Wish Gene would post more often! Bev have you changed your email?

With fall rains our well finally recovered after 4 months of no running water during the summer. This will go down as one of the most stressful times in my life. But you should see my muscles from hauling 40 lbs buckets of water! It took nine months before we could run the dishwasher and washing machine. The river is finally running again (we even had a little flood recently); we had our first swim last weekend and went kayaking for Mother's Day. It felt so good! The winter rains came like they once could be counted on doing and almost every square inch of the homestead is covered in flowers. The garden, with over 100 tomato plants, is looking good. Now I remember why I live here!

After the water came back all our 70 year old galvanized household pipes collapsed. They were either rusted or corroded so badly it was taking 9 hours to run a load of laundry! We found two local guys that call each other Bubba to replace it for a small fortune. The one certified as a plumber learned his trade at the school for the blind, having been blinded in the Viet Nam war, only he got some vision back in one eye later. His wife came to pray on our front porch that the job would go well. Needing to get God involved didn't instill confidence in us. So, it took some time (months, they drove me nuts!) to get it right and it still looks like it was plumbed by a blind man, but around here you take what you can get. We would have done it ourselves, but our house being solid brick block and plaster makes even the smallest of tasks nearly impossible. I need dynamite just to hang a calendar nail...but this house will still be standing long after we are gone.

In December our old, blind rescue sheep died and 10 days later her son Finley stomped my favorite rooster to death, the one that had lived with them for almost four years. It was heartbreaking. We really thought 2010 would be a better year, but in February Rick was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He underwent surgery in April and the prognosis is good, the pathology showing the cancer was contained and entirely removed. Even though we have insurance, our cost is going to set any plans for retirement back a year or two. Sigh. In this economy my largely non-profit advertising clients' budgets have dried up and I am having to substitute teach to make ends meet. I've enjoyed working with the kids, but being away from the homestead all day messes up the routines. I have a handful of private guitar students and it looks like I will pick up many more this summer. Over all I'm happy and needing a career change anyway.

Summer will be spent gardening, finishing the breeding pens of chicken coop two with our stack of recycled lumber, and staying affordably close to home with short trips to festivals or river running, etc. Our first grandchild will be born in November, so that will probably be our big trip of the year. Otherwise the two of us, the dogs, cats, sheep and chickens doing well!

  • [Homestead] Just checking in, Sage Austin | Eureka! Design, 05/10/2010