homestead - Re: [Homestead] Amazon warning

  • From: Paul Sparks <bgmedia AT ncn.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Amazon warning
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:37:49 -0600

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:20:45 -0500, you wrote:

>Last week I ordered something from Amazon.com and used my Visa debit
>card to pay for it, the NEXT DAY there were a bunch of unauthorized
>purchases on it. Fedex and USPS mostly and lot's of them. I got a
>new card and number
>I tr\ied to contact Amazon to let them know what was happening but
>that did not work out, I received a form email asking what fraudulent
>purchases were made at Amazon... My card NUMBER was stolen thru Amazon!
>
>Yesterday I ordered a used book thru Amazon.com and watched my bank
>account, tonight there are 6 Fedex transactions, I just had my card
>closed and am done dealing with Amazon.com.
>
>Once might be bad luck, twice is something more and not being able to
>contact Amazon about the problem does not help.

Rob, you might want to do a malware/anti-virus scan on yr computer. Sounds
like someone has a key-stroke reader sitting on yr machine - otherwise, why
would this only be happening to you? If it was wide-spread, the word would
be out in the public by now.

Recommendations...download Spybot (and/or Ad-Aware) for malware (i.e.
trojans and the like)...and AVG anti-virus...they are all free (or have free
versions - chk at www.download.com.

Install 1 program at a time, and then run it. Move on to the next one.

Let us all know how it comes out.

Paul
Paul Sparks
BG Media