homestead - Re: [Homestead] Those crazy Norwegians, was, The cat is out of the bag

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Those crazy Norwegians, was, The cat is out of the bag
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 01:06:55 -0400

Leslie wrote:

From the article: "Chinese financial sources believe President Barack Obama is too busy fixing the US economy to concentrate on the extraordinary implications of the transition from the dollar in
nine years' time. The current deadline for the currency transition
is 2018."

That will be long after the Obama presidency, long enough to blame the
decline on another president or administration, probably Bush/Cheney
again, or maybe whoever sits after Barack, providing he (or she) is a
Republican. Any bad news related to oil is usually the fault of
Republicans, never Independents, Libertarians, or most especially,
Democrats.

I still think the reason that the US was not even considered for the
2016 Olympics is based on a really grim economic forecast for the US
- the time frame is too coincidental...

Nah, I actually think it just had to do with what the people of the
world would like...I personally, and no offense to Chicagoans, would
like to see Rio and the surrounding area. I've always thought Carnival
was interesting, and I'm sure they will bring that aspect into the
spectacle. Brazil is just interesting, both from a cultural stance and
an environmental stance. Additionally, I like the idea of the Southern
Hemisphere sharing the spotlight. The US has hosted more than its share
of the games, and it is high time we stepped back and allowed other
cities and countries to show their pride. I am actually more excited
about watching the Rio games than I was about them being in Atlanta.
If the Olympics were to again be hosted in the US, I think Miami might
be a good place for the summer games-plenty of sun, fun, and
international flair. I think Chicago is more suited for the Winter
Olympics anyway. I heard snow is expected up there this weekend.

I also doubt Prez Obama
understands the dynamics of this, and the powers that be might be counting on just that. If he and Congress actually understood the implications of this - their actions and legislation proposals would
instantly do a 180....

President Obama is not stupid, and I actually believe he does understand
it, but just thinks it can be avoided if we follow his plan. That is
perhaps narcissistic, but mostly, I think the President is just naive.
I think Congress, shoot, the entire world, especially after today's
news, is freaking infatuated with Barack Obama and is blinded by his
fame and personality. Perhaps after today I will refer to him as
Hopebama, because according to the interview I heard with the
Norwegians, he was awarded the Nobel Price not for any meritorious
action or policy, but solely on the 'hope' he gives to the world on the
possibility of nuclear disarmament and climate change policy. WTF? I
honestly don't get it. I mean, half the world wants, dreams, prays or
whatever for the world to be a better place, where countries and
companies cared about the planet more than the profits, where nuclear
accidents or war was something archaic and barbarian. Why is he
special? Most recipients wait decades for their inventions or work or
actions to be recognized. The winners of the Physics prize made their
mark in the 1960's; Chemistry, 1970's; Literature, 1982, etc. Here is
an AP article talking about others who were awarded the Peace Prize for
recent 'work'. Even if you are an Obama supporter, I don't see how you
can compare his 'work' to that of any of the others. I guess I am
missing something. I read an article about how President Obama has
countered the ill will of President Bush and how he 'respects' other
countries. The only problem with this is that there hasn't been enough
time to see it this holds true for years or merely that he makes a good
first impression. He may respect other nations, but almost certainly,
those adversarial nations (Iran, Russia, Cuba, China, Venezuela, etc.)
certainly don't respect him. They see him as a Shiny Thing with little
substance, all talk and no real change. Maybe this will change in time,
and maybe it won't, but the important issue is that I think it is way
too early to tell whether he counters Bush's ill will or he adds to it
and makes other countries lose what little hope in America that they
might have had.
MLK wanted a country, a world, where men were not judged by the color of
their skin. He died for a dream in which men were lauded because they
earned it, not because of their genetics. I always hear people say
things to the effect of 'Look at what he has overcome'. IMO, that is
basically saying, 'look at his skin color and treat him differently
because of it'. It is, in effect, a subtle bias, albeit a politically
correct bias. Whatever. I don't want to get a raise or a promotion
based on the fact that I am the only woman working in a man's
profession, or because I have to be a role model and give hope to young
girls, or because of my beliefs and convictions about the way the world
should be. I want to be rewarded for a job well done....something I
create or make that is judged to be exceptional regardless of whether or
not I am a man or a woman. I would hate to hear someone say, she did a
great job, for a woman. What kind of compliment is that? It is
meaningless and counterproductive and prejudiced.
Sorry, I've been working all week, and went a bit overboard on my
digression...but, politics is a nice break from adhesives. :)
Anyone want to place a wager on who will be the beneficiary of his
charitable gift of prize money(1.4 million)? I'm betting that the money
will somehow make it's way back through the Ayers links..education and
such in the urban southside of Chicago. I think he would inspire more
kids to excel by setting up Harvard scholarships, but hey, what do I know?

How can Prez Obama credibly entertain the notion that he can fix the
US economy with cap & tax, and healthcare mandates for all - as the
rest of the world abandons the dollar?? .......... ROFLMOA !

Well, I don't understand the mechanics of all this economic stuff or how
it all interrelates. I think I am in the majority there, unfortunately,
and most folks just don't care about it. They simplistically expect
miracles.

Check out this related story from the same news source...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/sean-ogrady-china-will-overtake-america-the-only-question-is-when-1798176.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/ydeocgw

Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed
somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA