homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tractors was: A homestead plan

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tractors was: A homestead plan
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:54:24 -0400

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> The brush hog was the biggest reason for getting the tractor. It has been
> used to cut many acres of brush and high grass and clear weeds from the
> river road. Well worth the money. There is a world of implements out
> there, an auger and box blade are worth the money.

We are pleased with our 1984 JD 4wd tractor (forget the model #) bought last
December. We spent $5200, I think it was, and it came with a blade, brush
hog and scoop. We've brush hogged the field 3x and it's due to be done
again.

Just yesterday my husband used the tractor's blade to work on our driveway.
We had a dump truck load of gravel delivered recently (the first load in
almost 8 years) and the driver put down way too much on part of the drive
and not enough on the rest--creating a problem that was worse than before we
had the darn gravel delivered. At any rate, many hours of using a metal rake
(w/ resulting sore back muscles) as we'd previously done to fix the driveway
was eliminated in little under an hour.

Husband dug the post holes by hand for the new garden fence, but next time
around he may borrow or buy an auger if he can find a deal.

I haven't looked at Craigslist much lately, but when I did the other day it
appears that horses and tractors are found in abundance in our area under
the 'farm & garden' section. That happens to be where we found this tractor
(and my '98 Honda Civic).

Lisa
sw VA