homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spooky Garden!

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spooky Garden!
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:06:03 -0400

Indeed!
I planted lettuces and such on Monday and mine have also germinated, but were beaten down by yesterday's shower a bit.
I cleaned out the chicken coop today-now there's a scary job-and will plant my collards and kale and such tonight.

My news of the day is that I have chicks hatching!
I had two broody Australorp crosses with side by side nests. I think they covered for each other during the set. Anyway, I suppose when the pipping began, Reba left her nest and claimed Rosie's babies as her own. When I saw them, they were both on the chicks and eggs. I moved both nests into a separate area in the garden and as of now there are two chicks with another one pipping and both hens on a combined nest. Between the two hens, there are two dozen eggs, but I don't expect that many chicks. Nevertheless, this is BONUS! The roo is a RIR X Blue Laced Red Wyandotte..looks like RIR.

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The kale, collards, broccoli, and lettuce seedlings were up 1/2 inch 48 hours after being planted.
Spooky!

--
Duct tape is like The Force: There's a Light Side, a Dark Side, and, of course, it holds the universe together.
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA