homestead - [Homestead] Spooky Garden!

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Spooky Garden!
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:49:53 EDT

Yesterday when the grilling heat finally began pass at about 7:30, I and
two of my daughters made our way to the garden to wage the continuing battle
agaist the weeds that have bade fair to take over the world beginning at the
impetus of the excess fertility and the effects of the Temperate Rainforest.
We've nearly got a quarter (pie slice) of the circular 'Center of the
Universe' garden completely cleaned off and raked smooth for fall crops.

A small section of one bed had been raked smooth and seeded with all the
cole crops, lettuces, chard, spinach and other things intended for transplant
for early winter vegetables. We plant these thickly in close spaced rows on
the bed and when they are three or four inches tall, the roots come up
intact from the loose soil and they are transplanted in the most productive
pattern and spacing.

Some of the beds, what are deemed the 'worst' beds of the garden, least
friable and least fertile althought that is getting to be an artificial
designation, are piled up with all the garden debris of the season as in situ
compost heaps. The bias is to let no bit of organic material escape the
garden
unless we are going to eat it. This year the main ingredient of these
compost beds is green weeds with monstrous root balls. The previous week's
gardening had made one bed, the middle one of this quadrant of the circle,
about
five feet high bidding fair to shade out the adjacent beds.

As I came around this tall heaped bed and into view of the seedbed, I
suddenly stopped. There in the seedbed were the rows of seedlings half an
inch
tall. The girls came around the bed laughing and discussing this or that
character from the 'Twilight' books, and I asked them, "Remind me, we were
last
in the garden two days ago, right?"

"That's right, two days ago."

"And that's when we topped up this compost heap here?"

"Right."

"Just to make sure, we worked in the garden two days ago in this section,
then we took a day off and went to see the Harry Potter movie, and this is
the second day after that."

"Yes, no mistake."

The kale, collards, broccoli, and lettuce seedlings were up 1/2 inch 48
hours after being planted.

Spooky!

James