homestead - Re: [Homestead] Birthers

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Birthers
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:39:45 -0800

Ah geez, here we go again. The Mayan calendar that everyone seems obsessed with is the Long Calendar. The Mayans had *several* calendars. NO ONE knows what they mean, exactly. And quite a few were destroyed. After all, we couldn't have those dirty savages knowing more about things than the superior white race.

The Long Calendar gives details on a specific period of time. There is also the Tzolkin (a 260 day calendar based on periods of human gestation). the Haab and Venus Calendars. The Long County calendar (360 day year).

You add up the Tuns (the 360-day year, 18 days, 20 months). 20 Tuns to a Kaun, 20 Katuns to a Baktan, 13 Baktuns to a "great cycle." (5200 Tuns, approx. 5125 years) You get the Long Count Calendar which everyone obsesses over.

Mayan calendars were specific to cycles. Moon cycles, human cycles, Venus cycles, etc. The end of the Long Calendar is the end of a cycle. It isn't a doomsday calendar.

BTW, it has nothing to do with astroids. It has to do with planets, alignment and sunspots and sunspot activity. More likely to be the beginning of a magnetic pole flip.

Lynda
The press corp is fact-adverse but very fable friendly.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

For over twenty years I have had this note at the end of my journal:

12-21-2012: Mayan predicted apocalypse. Some space experts predict a
50% chance of an asteroid hitting Earth in 2012 and disrupting climate
for several years. The European Space Agency predicts 55%.