homestead - [Homestead] Sorghum Sudan Grass

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Sorghum Sudan Grass
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 16:37:38 -0400

Hey all,
I'm out to do some chores, but before that I've been meaning to share about
my current summer cover crop on my fields that are in rehab.

I planted Sudan Grass mixed with buckwheat or iron clay peas. (I needed to
get the iron clay and buckwheat seeds in the ground, thus the choice). Both
companions grew tall trying to stay ahead of the sudan grass.

The seed was about $30 for 50# and that plants an acre really thickly. It
germinated in a week or ten days. Some germinated with no rainfall, but all
had good ground water this year. I started to plant late in May.

I've cut most of the sudan grass now. I planted in 3 plantings and usually
about 6 weeks after, it's ready to cut. I cut it back to about 8 inches with
my bush hog. Some of the better areas in the fields, I'm using a grass hook
to cut some green chop for animals.

The first area I cut back mid July and it's starting to really show some
good growth now. It had started to go to seed on me before I cut it. The
other areas, I'm cutting way before that when it's 3-4 feet high.

Two reasons for the cutting: I've read that the roots grow more and reach
deeper to break up the soil. Also, it helps it to tiller and create more
growth. Organic matter and breaking up the soil are the reason I chose Sudan
grass. I'm hoping to get in at least one more cutting, probably two.

In October if not before, I'll probably cut it low, run the disk over the
area and plant the grass seed. This land is going to be pasture, mostly.

This in not a crop for low fertility. I can tell every spot that the crimson
clover did not grow well on. The sudan grass is short and yellow. If you
don't have good fertility, it won't grow organic matter for you.

We have had good rains this year. The couple of dry spells, the sudan just
sat there and waited for rain. When it rained, it took off.

If you are feeding to livestock, it's sure not going to be of any use in a
drought as it can be toxic then and does not grow. If you have good rain,
the animals love it. It's like they are crunching down young corn stalks.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Sorghum Sudan Grass, Robert Walton, 07/30/2009