homestead - [Homestead] just stuff

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] just stuff
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:25:01 -0400

We have about a 30% chance of rain over the last few days-30% everyday-but alas, not a drop of rain fell here. It is overcast, and and at least not stifling hot. I picked tomatoes and beans this morning, as usual, and came in to wash up, as usual. I'd love to know what it is about garden plants-beans, tomatoes, everything, that makes my arms itch! I either wear long sleeves or have to come in and wash with soap and cold water. It is as if there are microscopic fibers-akin to fiberglass-on the plants. Why me? Oh well, that's the breaks.

Today I've been subjected to the obnoxious sound of machinery. They are thinning pine trees across from me-imagine logging sounds-skidders, saws, trucks coming and going...Right now, the view of that treeline is hidden from the house view due to the leaves still being on the trees. I'm almost afraid to walk down there to see what it really looks like-the view I will have in the winter. The guy that owns the land refused offers to buy and auction offers, and now he is facing foreclosure. Selling off trees is paying for that auction, I suppose. It is heartwrenching. I hope he is only thinning and not clear-cutting.
Logging you say? In north Georgia? Yup. Logging. It is a major industry in this area, right up there with poultry farming..lol.
Think Georgia-Pacific.

I painted the chicken coop the other day-it is a nice green color now. I thought painting the coop was a good idea to give me a chance to see how the color would look in this environment before we bought house paint. I like the color-it blends well-but I'm not sold on how it looks with the roof shingles, which are a tan color. It took 3/4 gallon to paint the coop, and I suppose I will paint the old wellhouse with the remainder. If there is any leftover after that, maybe I will paint an adirondack chair or the mailbox. I've sworn off saving paint cans. No mas.

"Never expect magic from no where" Baringo (Kenyan) working motto
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA