homestead - Re: [Homestead] book

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] book
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 14:20:39 -0400

I've never successfully forced anything, but I've only tried with things
like daffodils, tulips and poinsettias. It was my understanding that
forcing shortens the life span of the plant-not true? Are they buying
strawberry plants to force or propagating them?

They didn't say, but they had a big bed of outdoor strawberries, so I assume they propagated them (I'm rooting runners in pots to force next spring). They did say that asparagus crowns took 4 years to get to forcing size, and were "tossed out" after they were forced. You'd think they could be rested for a year then brought back into production, but maybe it was more efficient to have an endless supply of new ones for forcing. Personally, I'd stick them back in the ground and nurse them back to productivity.

I can't stand throwing anything out...I'm even finding places to plant the last, bottom-of-the-barrel, never thrived, pathetic-looking tomato plants from the many that I started. They will never amount to much, and I already have more tomatoes planted than I need, but I never throw anything away (that's a mental illness, isn't it?).

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA