homestead - [Homestead] Five Days and Counting

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Five Days and Counting
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 16:16:12 -0800

Well, this is the 5th straight day we've had lightning, thunder AND periods of torrential rain (7-14" hour). I mean, I know lightning and thunder is the norm for this time of the year. What isn't the norm is to have it happen every single day, day after day AND to have torrential rains. I mean, we don't get rain after April. It simply doesn't happen. We've gotten more rain in 5 days then we got all winter!

The peas don't seem to mind. Believe it or not, the tomatoes don't seem to mind. The peppers, well, the jury is still out. Beets love it. The strawberries are loving it. The lettuce looks a tad bedraggled. Can we say mooshed <g> The melons, pumpkins and cucumbers are doing o.k.

I don't think the orchard is liking it. I think the rains have been hard enough to knock a lot of the young fruit off the trees. The black cap raspberries were already making berries, so knocking the last of the petals off won't bother them. The red raspberries haven't bloomed yet, so they are fine. I need to check on the grapes.

The weatherman was just on and predicting high winds. What damage the rain didn't do to the orchards the wind will finish!

I did get all my irises marked as to color for splitting before the rains knocked every single flower off them.

Oh, did I mention this is supposed to continue for another 5-10 days? This is one bizarre year!

Lynda
Members of Congress should be compelled to wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.