homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese nesting

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese nesting
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 08:20:43 EDT

> >When you say abandon the rest, I have a mating pair and a trio that
> are mating. The pair seems to be dominant, one smaller goose from the
> trio seems to sit more. Should I expect some to be abandoned?

If there are more than three goslings per pair, expect some to be abandoned.

As someone has already suggested, you can rescue an abandoned gosling and
raise it up separately and eat it in the fall or winter. They are fairly
easy to raise that way. Just keep them away from chicken feed, it will kill
them. Geese mainly want to eat grass, but the goslings do best, thinks I, on
boiled barley or oatmeal until they are ready to eat grass.

James