homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geese nesting

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geese nesting
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 12:03:15 -0400

> We've raised scores of geese here.  It is normal for a number of geese to
> lay in the same nest.  If the nest gets more than three or four eggs, it's
> normal for the setting goose to roll the surplus out of the nest.   Don't
> attemtpt to return the eggs to the nest.
>
> If more than two or three hatch, it is normal for the mating pair (geese
> are monogamous) to choose two or three of the goslings to raise and abandon
> the rest.
>
> James

The nest is full of eggs, real full. Couldn't count them, the other
day I happened to be there when there wasn't a goose there, but they
caught me and they do not like me around that nest.

I've got 3 geese and 2 ganders from the 5 I started last year. It
would be nice to have a goose or two for the table this year so I'm
hoping that they hatch some out.

I was taking eggs to eat when they were roaming near the house, but
when I banished them to the pasture, I let them have all the eggs.

When you say abandon the rest, I have a mating pair and a trio that
are mating. The pair seems to be dominant, one smaller goose from the
trio seems to sit more. Should I expect some to be abandoned?

I also think that they have been laying since they started sitting on
eggs, so I expect that a lot of these eggs won't be ready to hatch
when the first eggs start to hatch.

Geese are interesting birds. I'm still learning.

Rob - Va