homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spring-in-the-North Alert!!

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spring-in-the-North Alert!!
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 08:26:28 -0400

Bev wrote:

> rather uncommon here, as I have only seen three in 10 years.  My hawks
> are feeding their chicks..

A few years ago I posted that hawks were decimating our duck
population. They gradually worked through 8 mallards and a pekin and
really got attached to this area. There are a couple hawk nests
hereabouts and they can really make some racket. I miss the ducks-
they were raised from ducklings but were never really tame nor never
really wild. Every day was an easter egg hunt for mallard eggs- they
just dropped them wherever the urge struck.

But watching these hawks work is also a thing of beauty.

I've been turkey hunting (unsuccessfully thus far) this year and am
enjoying the birds. I wish woodpeckers would take a liking to pine
beetles.

Warren