homestead - Re: [Homestead] Red Letter Day

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Red Letter Day
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 00:34:57 -0400

I know the feeling. It is a total freak out. I almost fainted when my
DH, also a city boy who never had any country experience at all, decided
to learn to garden, too. I can't believe how productive we've
been working together on this venture. It is nice to have a partner,
but we have been arguing a bit more lately, but it's a good kind of
bickering. It looks like before the end of the summer, I will have
quadrupled the amount of asparagus we will grow. We will be
establishing a 'wild asparagus' area by the creek.
For years, too, I have restrained myself when it comes to buying plants
and bulbs and flowers and seed, etc. etc. Now, every Friday, he comes
home with 'something'. Today, I have glads and freesias to plant, as
well as dusty miller.
It's a good thing.

Lynda wrote:
O.K., I think by now y'all know that DH is a city boy. I mean, born and raised a few minutes outside Boston. How much more city can you get? <g>

This morning he came in from taking the "girls" for their morning walk and asked where I want the greenhouse dug and which raised beds I want empties out and hardware cloth put under. Then he comes back in and asks if I'd like him to trench out three more rows and he'll put some hardware cloth down there so HE can start me some new lasagna bed rows.

So, after I fainted and picked myself back up, he said "I want to be prepared because it's not looking good." Ah, it took me quite a bit longer to recover from that fainting spell!

So, happy dance, he's ordered the livestock panels and will start digging out (the plan is to dig down about a foot and put in old freezers and then use the livestock panels to make a hoophouse above.
The freezers being insultated will help keep the cold down to a manageable level) the greenhouse tomorrow!

Lynda "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous
Huxley

View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead