homestead - Re: [Homestead] Leggy seedlings

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Leggy seedlings
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:48:45 -0400

> A) transplant today as deep as possible;

Yes

> B) start over if not too late (tho probably too late) and ensure they
> receive more light (recent 5-day rainy gray spell did not help, I do not yet
> use grow lights);

Yes

> C) chalk it up as lesson learned, rig a grow light system or cold frame
> system (both?) and buy plants from a local farmer and plant when the time
> comes;

yes to cold frame.

I had the same 5 days as you last week Yuck. I'd plant those seedlings
and plant them deep enough to get rid of some of the leggyness.

My brassicas are leggy this year also, they usually do just fine. I
have in the past used a coldframe rigged up based on an old window and
that helped a lot with the light. I'm going to plant mine out next
week. This weekend is going to be a bit nippy and Mine aren't hardened
yet.

I don't like grow lights. Lots of expense and they won't do you any
good if the world goes to pot.

Rob - Va