homestead - Re: [Homestead] 400W Wind Generator

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 400W Wind Generator
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:01:20 EDT

> >I don't know if anyone on the list is doing wind generation, but this
> is as good a price as I've seen for a generator:

Warren, that generator is only 27" across (blade span) and so its claims of
400 watts is impressive. I looked up their website to see the wattage vs.
windspeed and typically did not find it. There is a chart there saying that
if
your 'average' wind speed is 10, 12, or 14 mph then you could run a list of
appliances on a "typical" week.

10 mph avarage wind speed doesn't sound like a whole lot, but it is. It
means that if you had two hours of dead calm then the winds would have to
blow at
30 mph for an hour to maintian the 10 mph average. I've never lived in a
place that had anything approaching 10 mph average windspeed.

Then look at the chart
(http://www.sunforceproducts.com/popup.asp?image=%2Fprodinfo%2Fimages%2Fwindchart1.jpg)
You are supposed to be able to run a bilge pump, cb radio, 10 watts of
lights, a 12" tv, and a laptop computer for a "typical" week. But what's a
typical
week. I used to look on the package of lightbulbs that claimed they were
good
for five years ... the fine print said that the five years was at one hour
use per day four days a week. The chart really tells you nothing. Is the
'typical' use to have the TV on for half an hour a day and one hour on the
laptop?

Unless for some reason you do not have access to the grid, most of these
alternate system require you to use so very little electricity that if you
use
that much now, it wouldn't be any expense at all for you. For a very remote
cabin where the electricity use is minimum in the extreme, this system might
be
feasible. But if I were going to that cabin for a weekend once in a while,
I'd
rig a few deep cycle batteries in the truck, charge them on the trip there,
and get by a lot cheaper than the alternate system.

(And by the bye, even my suggestion isn't completely free. The extra drag on
the alternator would cost in gasoline and momentum.)

James