homestead - [Homestead] macro cycle climate change

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] macro cycle climate change
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:28:11 -0700 (PDT)

I listened to the radio interview of the weather person who's really good,
I've heard her interviewed a number times before - quite accurate.

Main topics covered in this radio interview

Global Warming
Global Cooling
Atlantic temps & effects on weather
Pacific temps & effects on weather
Draughts & flooding, US areas
Impact on crops in various US states
Food shortages
Economic impact
Population migration in US, China, Australia caused by weather

Since weather affects homesteaders, and this show covers various parts of the
U.S. that I see people on this list live in... I've typed it up for everyone.

---------

The below is close to a full transcript of the 3/7/09 radio interview of
Evelyn Garriss (phoenetic) ..... a foremost climatologist.  Her clients
include big Ag, major cities, major financial institutions, etc....

To listen to the show instead of reading (I've typed up the bulk of the
interview below)........ go to http://financialsense.com/fsn/main.html 3rd
hour radio show 3/7/2009, save as an .mp3 type file to your computer, and
then fast forward to 31:00 mins thru 49:00 mins, so you can skip the other
financial discussion that most here aren't interested in.

Weather Impacts over the next 15-25 discussed include

Southern US - draught
East mid-west grain belt - wetter, a bit colder, later planting dates
Florida - draught, battle for water between cities & farmers
California - draught - population migration out of Southern California
Washington & Oregon - much wetter, flooding along the coastline only
E. Midwest farm areas - flooding, colder, later planting dates
SE - draught, battles for water
Tennessee - Ohio valley area - flooding

World - food shortages due to world draught
China - food shortages, huge population migration
Argentina, Australia - food shortages, draught

 ------------

SUBJECT:  Climate Change - Global Cooling.
JIM PUPLAVA interviews Foremost Leading Climatologist Evelyn Garriss

PUPLAVA:  "I just interviewed two authors who highly quoted your
newsletter... and his new book is called Water, the Last Scare Resource" and
they talked about climate change ,,,, and the fact that we are heading to
[global] cooling."

GARRISS:  "Well, just recently we've been cooling, however, at this point
depending on your scientists, we don't know whether its fluke or statistical
anomaly, or whether its the fact that the Pacific has changed cycles, and
when that happens, when the Pacific gets cooler, the Pacific is such a
dominant part of the world, then the global temperatures stay cooler for
about 30 years and then then supposedlyl the temperatures increase and the
procees reverses..... or the fact that the sun has been very inactive.  So if
you look at temperatures, we are down from the high temps we had in 1998
which was during the large El nino and even if you say that that doesn't
count, our global temperatures have been almost flat since 2000 and really
dropped last year.  "

"In fact, last year you know how much they talked so much about the polar ice
melting?  IN THE ARTIC THE ARTIC ICE CAPS GREW BY THE size of France and
Germany."

"Now, if you listen to the stories, they talk about last year's melting in
the Antartic, because they (the global warming side) don't want to talk to
you about the Artic. Because in the Artic it was so cold that the polar cap
grew."

PUPLAVA:  " I wonder if you might explain for our listeners, there are long
weather patterns that are 500 years long, there's the 180 year crustal cycle
that deals with volcanos, tsunamis, and earthquakes.  But there are two that
I wonder if you could explain for our listeners so they can understand how
this influencces temperatures -  the decatal (phoenetic) oscilator and the
mid-decatal oscilator, one for the Pacific and one for the Atlantic."

GARRISS:  "OK, yes.  The Atlantic one is like the flow of a river, it ebbs
and flows.  In the springtime it is flowing heavily, in the winter it isn't.
  In the Atlantic Ocean there is a large current, its technical name is
Atlantic Thermal Haley Current, but most people call it the Gulf Stream.  The
Gulf Stream is just like a river, sometimes it flows very heavily and very
fast and other times its very slow and very weak.  And because it is such a
huge stream it takes a long time, it is like trying to slow down a train.
Once it gets flowing fast, it continue to flow fast for decades, and then it
slows down again.  And during most of the 70s, the 80s and into the mid-90s,
the Atlantic flow, the Gulfstream flow was very slow and the Atlantic was
cooling, and it began to speed up in 1995 and the Atlantic warmed.  One of
the ways that you can see this is you are hearing about temperatures being
warmer, you are seeing hurricanes flourish in the
warm waters and since 1995 we've had an uptick in Atlantic hurricanes.  And
this cycle, it is probably going to take another 15-25 years for the Atlantic
to finally slow down again and for the waters to become cooler.

"We can trace this cycle of warm Atlantic waters and cooler Atlantic waters
at least since th 1700s from fishing records and we have geological records
that this has been going on for thousands of years.  What we are now seeing
is the Atlantic is flowing much warmer, and when Europe complains about
warmer temperatures it is hardly surprising because the Gulfstream is
bringing warm water to the European shores.

"Now across from the Atlantic, we have another very long term current
oscillation where the waters, there's different patterns of warm and cold
water.  But its a lot more complex than the Atlantic.   What you have is the
Pacific decatal oscillation.  When it is in its warm phase, the tropical
waters are unusually warm and the waters off the coast of the Americas are
unusually warm and the waters near Asia are cooler.  Now this was great news
for California and the US.  Because warm waters warms the air above it.  And
warm air holds a lot of moisture, so the westerly winds carry in moisture
from the warm waters off the west coast and they bring a lot of snow to the
Rockies and California is a nice wet place to live.  It is interrupted by El
Ninos and La Ninas, but for bascially 20-30 years you get a lot of rain fall
and a lot of snowfall in the Western United States.

"Well, starting in 1998, the pattern that we had, the warm Pacific decatal
oscillation started to change and now we have the cool Pacific decatal
oscicllaition.  And what this means is the tropical waters are cooler and the
waters off the coast of California and the western coasts of North and South
America are cooler, and there is warmer water off the coast of Asia.  And
people aren't used to this.  2006 is when this finally settled in.  And if
you think about it, since things started to change, we've had less snowfall
in the Sierras and the Rockies and overall drier weather.  And we've had 3
years of dry weather and it finally permanently became cold cooler water in
the shores off California in 2006 and California is now in its third year of
draught.  Unfortunately for California it needs winter snowfall.  The entire
west depends on winter snow pack for our rivers and we haven't been getting
as much snowfall, we haven't been getting as much
water because the waters offshore are so cool that the air above them is
fairly cool and dry.

"Asia has just the other problem. They are getting very warm weather, very
warm waters off their shores.  So when a cool continental wind hits that warm
water, they have these explosive storms off their east coast.  Remember last
year the Chinese new year when they had all those heavy snows and nobody
could get home?  That was one of the results you saw of this change in the
Pacific, where they had all that warm water and you end up with heavier snows
in Southern China.  This is a long term cycle.

"If California thinks it is dry now, the bad news is that we are just at the
beginning of this Pacific decatal oscillation.  We are going to have cooler
waters off the coast line and less snowfall and less rainfall, with
interuption, for the next 25-30 years."

PUPLAVA:  "It's amazing because one of the authors I interviewed this week
was William Houston,,,, and they are talking about whenever you get these
larger climate cycles whether it is a 500 year cycle or these decatal cycles
that take place, with almost 12% of the US population in California, you
could start seeing a migration out of the state.  They are already talking
about water rationing (in CA) as soon as next month.  Given these cycles
right now, what parts of the United States would you be seeing plentiful
rainful  What about Florida and the east coast, because even Texas is having
the same problem as (California).

GARRISS:  "One of the things that happens when you have the Pacific cooler,
you have these smaller cycles, El Nino, La Nina, La Nina causes draught in
California and all along the southern tier states.  With the Pacific in its
cool phase, it strengthens La Ninas, and very frequently the last longer,
they may last... well right now this current La Nina, what we are having is
two years of La Nina in a row.  And so this is bad news for the southern tier
states and I would expect some water problems in California, the whole
Colorado River basic, the southwest Texas.  And what happens in the Atlantic
when the Atlantic is warm, is it usually causes drier weather in the
southeast.  So we're actually seeing some very dry weather in the southeast.
That is not from the Pacific.  That is from the Atlantic.  So we are having,
by the Atlantic being warm and the Pacific being cold at the same time, we
are having the maximum impact of dry weather on the
southern portion of the United States.

"On the other hand, if you live in the Tennessee and Ohio river valley, you
had better learn how to dog paddle, because they are getting a lot of
moisture.  They are getting cooler weather spring and sometimes have to plant
later because there is too much water in their fields."

PUPLAVA:  "If you were looking for a place to live where there is going to be
a lot of water because in the U.S., what areas, is Florida going to see
draught too?"

GARRISS:  "During times like this, when the Atlantic is warm, Florida
frequently does go thru periods of draught.  Also Florida has a real problem
with balancing its growing population with its agricultural needs.  One of
the problems we are seeing is the southeast is having increasing draught, but
because there are so many states and they aren't used to water shortages they
don't play well together.  And so you end up with water wars, like we
recently saw between Georgia, Alabama and I think it was one of the
Carolinas.  If I was looking for a good place, I probably would look in the
mid-Atlantic states, I would look in the midwest, south of the Great Lakes.
This is a good time for the eastern Great Lakes."

PUPLAVA:  "So is this good for the farm belt?"

GARRISS: "That is good for the eastern part of the farm belt.  Yes.  Well it
is good for them providing the weather stays warm.  Sometimes what we are
seeing is conditions like last year, where they had so much flooding they had
to plant very late, and then they had to hold their breath hoping it would
get hot enough to grow a good crop.  Well, last year it was, but what you
find is a later planting peaking in the springtime being edgy about whether
or not their crop will come in and then usually it does.  Usually it is
warmer and you don't get the early freeze but it makes the crops a little
more high risk.  It doesn't necessarily reduce the crops, but it makes it
more high risk because you are getting wetter fields and you just can't go
out and plant when the fields are too wet."

PUPLAVA:  "Now what about let's say on the west coast with what's happening
with the Pacific Ocean's temperatures.  California will be cooler, that's
good, the temperatures will be nicer, more pleasant, but less water.  Does
that translate all the way up the coast to let's say Oregon and Washington?"

GARRISS:  "Well, here's what is ironic.  Even with the waters cooler,
sometimes you end up with heat waves because of the cloudless skies.  So the
waters are not as warm as they usually are but the land in the summertime the
land heats up faster than the water anyway.  So you can have the nasty
problem of cooler waters, hotter land, and stronger Santa Anas.  It is not a
good condition.  You frequently have the heat increase because there are more
Santa Ana winds. because there is more contrast between the water and the
continental temperatures."

PUPLAVA:  "And what about for example in the areas like Seattle and
VanCouver. I mean I don't think like in the last four years I've only been to
VanCouver once where it didn't rain."

GARRISS:  "Ah.  Ok, yes.  I have been talking with a number of financial
planners, county and government officials from Seattle, British Columbia, and
I had to warn them that they can expect even more rain.  The rain won't go as
far inland.  Instead it rains out along the coastline.  So actually if you
are looking for wet weather and you don't want to go all the way to the
midwest, go north.  There is going to be a lot of rainfall.  One of the odd
things that is happening is in the cooler phase of the Pacific we end up with
some of the high latitude waters being warm enough that typhoons when they
move north then catch the westerly winds, and can be brought back west almost
across the Pacific at the latitude of Oregon and Washington.  And you can
have Oregon and Washington being hit by almost tropical rainfall which they
are just not prepared for.  So actually we are going to be seeing heavier
rain in the area of Seattle, the coastal regions
of the Pacific Northwest, including British Columbia.  But once you get
beyond the Cascades there may be some draught problems."

PUPLAVA: "What does this do.... One of the authors that we interviewed this
week on their book on water, and they cite your work by the way, they were
talking about possible food shortages related to not only energy related
matters but also these draught conditions that you are talking about.  So,
one of the big food baskets of the world is the midwest of the U.S.  What
does this portend for the U.S. over the next two decades?"

GARRISS:  "What we are seeing this year is draught in every major food
producing country on earth.  For the United States, the current La Nina
expected to end in late spring but we aren't going to be seeing a reduction
in grains as much as fruits and vegetables.

"We've seen Argentina draught stricken and it's grain production has
plummeted.  Australia is having a terrible problem.

"Northern China is having what they are describing as the worst draught in 50
years.  And their citizens went out of the cities on New Years, they went
home, and they don't have jobs to return to.  So they are stuck out in the
countryside in the middle of a draught.  That is totally different than the
patterns of history.  Most of the time when you have a draught, the farmers
leave the farms and go to the cities.  This time, the cities have sent them
out to the draught.  And you had better believe this is going to cause a lot
of social restlessness in China as people have no jobs and are sitting there
on dying farms.

"This year, like last year, is going to be having some food problems.  I
don't know how much it is going to increase in demand, since economic terms,
demand is the need and the ability to pay and with the credit crunch, people
won't be able to pay.  But there are going to be a lot of people who need the
food and can't grow it.

PUPLAVA:  "You know one of the things we have seen as you mentioned earlier,
the Artic ice caps have grown the size of France and Germany, and they are
not talking about that, but they have now shifted from global warming,
because temperatures have been cooling, to climate change.  Isn't that in a
way an oxymoron.   I mean climates have been changing for thousands of years."

GARRISS:  "We had a medieval warm period, we had a little ice age, now the
little ice age is over and its getting warmer.  It is not suprising.   You
end an ice age and temperatures do get warmer.  Climate change is standard.
The concern should really be in the past man adjusted to climate change.  We
need to adjust to the chaning climate.   Australia's government, for example,
is trying to transfer farms from the southeast where they are having fires,
to the northwest where they are having more rainfall.    We need to be
thinking in terms of shifting with the climate because the climate shifts.
Climate changes. "

PUPLAVA: "What does this say about, because in the last cycle where we say
cooling temperatures, rain, we had this almost like population movement from
the midwest and the east coast to the southwest, so you have huge populations
centers today in New Mexico, Phoenix and Tuscan, AZ, southern California,
where we have about 12% of the country's population, Vegas... all these areas
that we have huge population centers where there isn't a lot of water.  So
we, like my authors this week, are talking about another refugee movement.
In other words, they are predicting that we're going to start to see a
movement out of California because of draught conditions among other things
and they are saying that, they cited a U.N. study, that because of these
climate shifts, which obviously affect water, they affect food production,
that people move to where the food and the water is. Are we looking at
something as large as that?"

GARRISS:  "Yes.  The infrastructure will determine how quick different
societies will move.  I'm sure that one of the things that will be happening
is that like in Alburquerque, which is where I'm based, is that there are new
regulations that strictly mandate what kind of landscape you can have in the
city.  And if you try and have lusher landscape, a nice golf sized lawn, you
will be a paying huge price for water.  What we're going to be seeing is some
societies adjusting to the drier conditions, either thru rationing water as
California is having to do now and some just having to get up and move.  A
lot of it depends on the technology.  There are going to be some areas in
China where some people will just have to leave.  It is not going to support
tens of millions in and increased draught.

Here in the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people left California
because it was no longer the glorious land of opportunity as it was when they
moved there when they were younger.  A lot of the problems are going to
depend on how much people resist the population movement.  I don't think the
average midwesterner is going to object if Californians moved into his area.
He might object if it is people from Mexico and Central America flooding in.
A lot of it depends on how willing people are for these population movements
to take place."

PUPLAVA:  "Well it seems like we have a whole host of problems, and if you
are talking about the U.N. talking about an increase in global population at
at time when the weather cycle is turning negative for food production it
seems like we could have another crisis on our hands, as the authors talked
about in their book WATER.  I think we're going to find out what is really
precious."

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell